PHILIPPINE OBSTETRICAL AND GYNECOLOGICAL SOCIETY (Foundation), INC.
ADHOC COMMITTEE ON THE POGS UNIFIED RESEACH AGENDA (PURA)
The POGS Flagship Research Program
The POGS Flagship Research Program is a legacy program by the current POGS President and showcases the society’s core belief that through health research, improvements in health care in obstetrics and gynecology may be achieved.
Carefully selected OB-GYN researches may be undertaken periodically by the society where a fund of at least P500,000 shall be awarded to worthy projects. Counterpart funds from other sources may also be allowed for appropriate researches.
The choice of research projects under this program will follow a rigid selection process by the Ad Hoc Committee on the POGS Unified Research Agenda (PURA), which shall recommend deserving research proposals for approval to the Board of Trustees (BOT). A CALL FOR RESEARCH PROPOSALS will beannounced and sufficient time will given to prepare worthy proposals.
A. REQUIREMENTS and PROVISIONS
- Soft copy of the complete research proposal including a Gannt chart and budget
- Prior approval of the research proposal by an accredited technical review board (with names of technical reviewers/expert panel) and by a separate Ethical Review Board (ERB); the approving ERB must be in the list of PHREB-accredited review boards
- The principal investigator (PI) must be a POGS member; Curriculum vitae of all investigators must be submitted, including previously completed researches and on-going researches
- The principal investigator must preferably belong to an institution that shall vouch for the investigator andshall assure completion of the research project. For independent PIs, the Regional Director (RD) will vouch for the PI. A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) shall be signed.
- Counterpart funds, including those from private/government sources and Pharmaceutical companies, may be allowed 1) as long as the fund is declared as an unrestricted research grant (esp. for Pharmaceutical companies) 2) the PI must declare engagement, entanglements, and conflicts of interest (COI).
- The project should be completed within 2 years (Preferred)
- The PIs of selected paper/s will be required to provide progress reports of the research project before the next tranche of budget will be released. Funds will be released to the institution or RD who will help monitor the progress of the research.
- At the completion of the research, the principal investigator will be required to present the results of the paper at the POGS Annual Convention aside from having the paper published in the PJOG or in an appropriate international journal.
B. SELECTION CRITERIA (100%)
- Significance/ relevance in Obstetrics and Gynecology (30%)
- Capacity to cause a change in practice/Impact in OB_GYN care (25%)
- Contribution to new knowledge (15%)
- Innovative/ Novel (15%)
- Presence of collaboration between experts and institutions (5%)
- Sound methodology, with consideration to hierarchy of methods (5%)
- Presence of Counterpart funding (5%)
C. PROPOSED DATES FOR 2020 POGS FLAGSHIP RESEARCH PROJECT
CALL FOR RESEARCH PROPOSALS May 15, 2020
Deadline of Proposals: September 15, 2020
Ad Hoc Committee on POGS Unified Research Agenda (PURA)
Chair: Maria Lourdes K. Otayza, MD (Government)
Virgilio M. Novero, Jr., MD (BOT)
Bernadette R. Octavio, MD (Academe)
Veronica M. Deniega, MD (Regional)
Maria Lora G. Tansengco, MD (Private)
Diego C. Danila, Jr., MD (DOH)
Cecilia Ladines- Llave, MD (NIH)
Erlidia F. Llamas-Clark, MD (Scientific Works)